Friday, February 24, 2006

WHY?

Why can't they figure out how to run the sport properly? There are so many people in boxing that talk about how boxing used to be. They talk about how it used to be the most popular sport, how everyone would gather in front of the T.V. to watch the fights. How it would fill giant venues, and how it used to get a ton of media coverage. You'd think that the people in boxing would recognize where boxing was and understand that someday it could be there again. You'd think that they would look at how other sports are successfully run and make some changes. I'm not even going to get into the fact they need one organization like the NFL,NBA, or MLB. I'm not going to get into the fact that most fighters deserve better, and shouldn't have to be broke after fighting for twenty years. I'm simply saying don't split the market. Boxing has a small, but passionate fan base. If you go to fights locally you will see the same people at almost every fight. I'm sure the same goes for the big fights as well. HBO, Showtime, and other promoters refuse to talk and work there fights around each other so as to not split there small, but passionate following. Next weekend Showtime and HBO will once again go head to head with main events. Showtime has the Jeff Lacy vs. Joe Calzghe fight, and HBO will be airing Miguel Cotto vs. Gianluca Branco. This is extremely disappointing to me because Jeff Lacy and Miguel Cotto are two of my favorite fighters. You're telling me that two of the richest TV stations on the planet couldn't get any other date for these fights. There are seven days in a week and 52 Saturdays in year. It gets worse from there, those two fights are at least on cable. June 10th again Miguel Cotto will fight Paulie Malinaggi on PPV. At the same time Bernard Hopkins will be fighting Antonio Tarver on PPV. As a boxing fan I find this to be insulting. Not only do I feel neither of these fights to be worth PPV money, but to put them on the same night is ridiculous. It gets even worse when you get to the local boxing scene. I have been to fights in Boston and at the same time just across town a rival promoter is putting on another show. There are only so many boxing fans in one city. What bothers me most about this is not that they are hurting themselves by not getting as much money as they could. Which to me is pretty stupid. But they are hurting the sport of boxing. The old fans are used to it and will just keep taking it, but sooner or later there won't be any of us left and boxing will disappear forever. Sorry that was a little dramatic, but you get my point.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blog! Yo you gots to get paid! Give my man a 3.3% raise!

Anonymous said...

Yes undoubtedly, in some moments I can bruit about that I approve of with you, but you may be inasmuch as other options.
to the article there is even now a without question as you did in the decrease issue of this request www.google.com/ie?as_q=zonealarm antivirus 7.0.470 ?
I noticed the catch-phrase you have not used. Or you partake of the dark methods of promotion of the resource. I take a week and do necheg