Thursday, February 16, 2006

CONTENDER EAST COAST SURPRISE:

I was overwhelmed this weekend by the fights in Providence. First off, my predictions couldn't have been more wrong. I had no idea Manfredo would fill out so well. In the post fight press conference Manfredo trainer Freddie Roach said he thinks Peter was struggling to get to 160. He also feels Peter is stronger and faster at 168. I agree fully with Mr. Roach. The Peter we saw on Monday night was by far the best we've seen. The only thing that Freddie and I disagree on is that he thinks Peter is ready for the winner of Lacy-Calzaghe. I would like to see the "Pride of Providence" take on another younger person at 168 before tackling a Lacy or Calzaghe. One thing I was also impressed with was how Matt Godfrey handled his step up. Matt knocked out Ernest manteen in the second round. That is not what I was impressed with though. The changes he made between the first and the second rounds is what impressed me the most. He felt out "M16" for the first round. In the second he seemed to already know what was going to land easily. This is smart boxing. He quickly adjusted and did what was necessary to get the KO. In the end "Too Smooth" was indeed too smooth. Unfortunately we didn't get to see much of Jason Estrada's step up due to and accidental headbut. No matter what Yanqui Daiz says, I believe it was accidental. One last thing that impressed me more than anything was the way Scott Pemberton handled himself after the fight. He answered every question reporters asked and made no excuses for the loss. He gave Peter full credit including telling him "the better man won tonight." He also interjected some humor, about how his mail lady asked him for a Manfredo autograph. I think Scottie should get credit for being a class act. Other fighters should pay attention and follow his lead. Over all I thought it was a pretty good night. My only complaint is I would have rather skipped the two Contender undercard fights.

No comments: