Thursday, February 16, 2006

TOP FIVE RING ENTRY SONGS:
I think the song a fighter picks to enter the ring to is important. It should say something about them, get fans pumped up and scare the opponent all at the same time. Admit it there's nothing more disappointing then a guy entering the ring to some lame song. These songs are not necessarily used, but the Bryguy feels they should be.

5. YOU KNOCK ME OUT - R. KELLY
At first listen it may sound like a slow R&B track about a chick. Well, it is but it's got a good beat and great chorus. Kells sings "you are the champ baby you are the champ baby." Just a personal fave, but I know it's not for everybody.

4. THUNDERSTRUCK - ACDC
This track is used for the entry of Arturo "Thunder" Gatti. It's got the slow start with the quitar and the chanting of "thunder!" What a way to get fans riled up. It's got a tough beat and a kickass chorus saying "you been, thunderstruck!" You can't go wrong. Especially if your fighting name is "Thunder".

3. ENTER SANDMAN - METALLICA
This song is also used by a fighter. By New Bedford's own Scott "The Sandman" Pemberton. What a perfect song announcing that the Sandman is entering the ring. This song is heavy and could get anybody in the mood to fight. Even if your not a boxer, but I'm sure that helps. You can picture his opponent just standing in the ring waiting to get put to sleep.

2. RUMBLE YOUNG MAN RUMBLE - JUELZ SANTANA
This song is off his recent CD. I'm sure no one is using it yet. It's all about being strong and fighting to survive. The chorus is straight from Ali. I don't think you can get any better than that. You're entering letting everyone know you're ready to "Rumble Young Man Rumble".

1. MAMA SAID KNOCK YOU OUT - LL COOL J
I know it's a bit too obvious to be number 1. But that's what's so bad ass about it. LL raps with so much anger and emotion you can't help but get pumped up. It's also pretty tough to let everyone know you're planning on the KO. My personal choice would be to go with the unplugged version. It's even tougher than the original.
HONORABLE MENTION:
BAGPIPES
Just like in Million Dollar Baby. I saw John Duddy do it once too. It's such a unique instrument that it works. It's almost like your at the other mans funeral.
SOME LIVE ACTS
I saw Dimitry Salita lead in by jewish reggae artist Matisyahu once. It was pretty impressive. It had a similar affect as the bagpipes. It also makes you pretty badass to say I don't want a CD I want the real thing. Sometimes this can backfire. One I think of right away is Nelly leading in Corey Spinks. I know they're both from St. Louis, but it just seemed cheesy to me. It was even cheesier when Spinks got knocked out by Judah in the ninth. I wonder if Nelly rapped when Corey was leaving the ring too.

No comments: