Thursday, February 09, 2006

RANDOM THOUGHTS
I like the fight between Wlad Klitchsko and Chris Byrd. It may not be the best fight in the heavyweight division, but at least it shows some progress. The loser most likely will be sent packing. This is what the division needs more than anything, to be cleaned out.

This is my favorite time of the year for boxing. We've seen a couple good fights (Mormeck - Bell, Pacqiua - Moralles II). Been Treated to an upset(Baldomir over Judah). Seen a nice undercard (Edner Cherry - Jose Santa Cruz, on the Castillo - Reyes undercard). Caught glimpse of a new prospect(Andre Berto) and saw a prospect get one step closer to being a contender (Sechew Powell). Add to that I saw my first fight in Boston(John Duddy vs. Julio Jean) VIP no less. (Thanks Larry!) Along with the fact we still have a pile of fights to look forward too. (Toney - Rahman, Mayweather - Judah, and Lacy - Calzaghe). If that doesn't fill your appetite, Espn2's Friday Night Fights is back. I just might OD on boxing when new episodes of The Contender air. It's too bad I know about halfway through the summer I will be dissapointed in the sport again. I'm sure we'll see some bad decisions, worse matchups, and a ton of excuses.
bertolacy Is it just me or did Andre Berto look like a mini Jeff Lacy on Showtime Saturday night? I just might add Berto to my list of favorite fighters, under honorable mention of course. I would file him in with the other two Andres.
duddySpeaking of favorite fighters I saw John Duddy live for the second time Saturday night. I was thankful I got to see him fight a full ten rounds. Last time it was over in about thirty seconds with a body shot. Someone in line for the bathroom thought he didn't look very good. I disagree, Jean seemed to be a tricky fighter. He was very slippery and some of his style slightly reminded me of Sam Soliman. Duddy had some trouble getting a hold of him, and just couldn't land a knockout shot. I'm ok with this, I hate to see guys who think they can knockout everyone. It always comes back to bite them. It's better to learn it against a guy with no ko power than one with heavy hands. I think this was a great learning experience for Duddy, and can't wait to see him again.

I guess the Tua - Briggs fight is off. The Bryguy appologizes if he offended anyone with his bragging. I do hope we get to see Briggs - Peter instead.

No comments: