Thursday, February 23, 2006

NEW ENGLAND GOLDEN GLOVES

I went to my first amateur show last night. The finals of the New England Golden Gloves. I was extremely impressed. I compare it to watching college basketball instead of the NBA. There was no politics involved, no bad decisions, and no boring fights. These kids faced off against each other for pride, and a trip to the nationals. There were a couple thousand fans in attendance, most of whom go every year. They don't care who fights just as long as they fight. The fans had no problem booing if there was a break in the action, who cares if he's only a kid we paid money to get in here. Luckily there wasn't much of a break throughout the 7 fights. One kid in particular I feel fortunate to have seen was Demetrius "Boo-Boo" Andrade. This kid will surely be a part of the 2008 Olympic team. It was like seeing and NBA player go back and play at a small college. His skills were so far superior that he was trying not to hurt his opponent. Seeing him fight was such a treat because when he does make the Olympics or make a name for himself in the pros I can say I remember him when. All in all I was a huge fan of the Golden Gloves, and can't wait to go back next year.

No comments: