Thursday, February 09, 2006

CONTNDER: EAST COAST PRIDE

eastcoastposterThis weekend I will be attending the Contender East fight card. I am very excited about this for a few reasons. This is probably the biggest fight in New England in about seven years. Also the undercard is stacked with intriguing matchups. I have followed a couple of Providence fighters since they where amateurs. On the 12th they will both be taking major steps up.
godfrey Matt Godfrey (10-0 5ko) will be fighting Ernest Manteen(29-11-3 10ko). Manteen has 11 loses but some of those loses have come at the hands of Antonio Tarver, James Toney, O'Neil Bell, and Vassily Jirov. Just being in the ring with those guys gives him an advantage over Godfrey. I think Matt is a very intelligent fighter and will outbox Manteen over the six rounds. It is a very good test for Matt and I only wish it was a ten rounder. PREDICTION: Godfrey UD

jasonestrada Jason Estrada (5-0 1ko) is taking huge step up taking on Yanqui Diaz (13-3 8ko). Diaz has fought such heavyweights as Kirk Johnson, and Samuel Peter. Diaz actually beat andundefeated Jaun Carlos Gomez and a tough Vaugh bean. Diaz has a sturdy chin, he went 5 with arguably the hardest puncher in boxing Sam Peter. There is no way Estrada gets a ko in this one. I do expect Big Six to pull this out though. Jason knows how talented he is, and some times I think he knows he can get away with a halfway performance. On this one he knows he better be in tip-top shape. Don't get me wrong I don't think Diaz is a great fighter by any stretch. But I do think if Jason isn't fully ready to step up he could get the first blemish on his record. I think Jason is too fast and too talented to lose. PREDICTION: Estrada UD

Main Event:


manfredopemberton
Peter Manfredo Jr. (24-3 10ko) is facing off against Scott Pemberton(29-4-1 24ko). This is to crown the new king of New England boxing. The fight is a true crossroad for both fighters. If Pemberton should lose he will probably not fight again. If he wins Scott might get one more shot for big money and a title. With a Manfredo win he will jet up the rankings and put himself in a nice spot for a title shot in the near future. With a loss he still has a career, but it will be strictly in Providence. In the end I think Pemberton's right hand will be too much for Manfredo. PREDICTION: Pemberton KO 8

No comments: