Saturday, February 18, 2006

MORE RANDOM THOUGHTS:
pauliemcottotorres
I just read that Paulie Mallinaggi is close to getting his fight with Miguel Cotto. Paulie has been shouting about this fight for quite a while now. At first I just threw him in with the pile of everyone else calling out Cotto. After watching the "Magic Man" play with Donald Camerana on ESPN two weeks ago I'm excited about this fight. It is a good matchup looking to answer some questions lingering with both fighters. How would Cotto look against a fast slick boxer? Can Paulie's speed make up for his lack of punching power? Is Mallinaggi just a big mouth or a boxer who knows how good he is? Is Cotto a good enough boxer to slow Mallinaggi down? About a year ago Paulie said this would make a great fight for the same reason people were interested in Mayweather - Gatti. It's the perfect good vs. evil fight. Cotto is a quiet well respected boxer. Paulie is a cocky big mouth who likes to clown in the ring. Me personally, I like both guys. I'll take Mallinaggi's mouth over Tarver's anyday. But as far as hype, it would be very easy to hype this up. To be honest I'm not sure who would win, but I have to think Cotto has the upperhand. He's faced the better opposition and Paulie's lack of punching power is going to affect him against Cotto. My only question is can Miguel catch him?
mosleybwvargas
I wish every fight had an HBO countdown made for it. I was not excited about the Mosely - Vargas fight, until I sat down and watched the on demand countdown. After watching the thirty minute documentary, I felt like this was going to be the greatest fight ever put on TV. I think they could make a fight between Butterbean and Ruiz seem worth the money. I have since relaxed and realized it won't be, but it still convinced me to buy the fight. Of course I get half off, so it's not hard to convince me. It is a crossroads fight and I believe both guys will come out guns blazin'. I think Mosely still has the better skills and his speed is always a major advantage. Vargas' last couple fights have been strange to me. He seems like he doesn't know what kind of a fighter he wants to be anymore. PREDICTION: Mosely KO 9
ondemand
The best thing about On Demand is the boxing. If you miss a Sho-box or boxing after dark you can call it up on-demand a few days later. If there is a big fight coming up HBO or Showtime will replay a great fight from each upcoming fighter. This week in preparation for Vargas - Mosely, not only did I get to watch the countdown documentary, but I was treated to Vargas - Quartey and Delahoya - Mosely . Both classic fights and I get to enjoy them all over again. On Showtime I was able to watch Joe Calzaghe fight Byron Mitchell. This was a double treat, not only had I never seen Calzaghe fight, but it was a pretty intense enjoyable fight. Showtime also had the Lacy - Pemberton fight, but seeing as I like Scott very much I chose not to view that one again. How did I get so lucky? I've watched so much boxing this week that I may not watch Friday Night Fights, or the Vargas - Mosely fight. No I'm just kidding, of course I'll watch, I'm The Bryguy.

No comments: