Thursday, November 08, 2007

DOWN THE ROAD

One of the things I hate about watching boxing is I know that two guys are going to slug it out as long as they can, and then some guy who has been sitting ringside drinking tea, is going to get in the ring and say "who do you want to fight next?". As much as I hate that question, I can't help but think about who the winner, or sometimes even the loser, should fight next. At least I'll wait a few days before putting my opinion out there. Let's go over some great fights, and recent news, and look down the road for a few good match-ups.

JOE CALZAGHE

First, I would like to say Calzaghe put on another amazing performance and deserves all the credit in the world for stepping up at the end of his career and fighting the best of the best. That being said, I got tired of Jim Lampley and Max Kellerman talking about how great Kessler was! I agree that Kessler is a good fighter, let's not shove it down my throat. It seemed like they were prepared to talk about Kessler more than Joe. Why not focus on how great Joe Calzaghe is? Maybe because they know Joe is at the end and HBO plans on Kessler being their fighter? It could just be me, but that's what I thought anyway. As for Joe's future, it seems he is determined to fight Bernard Hopkins. I'm not sure why Joe is so intent on fighting The Executioner. It seems to me there is not much of an upside to it. If he loses to him, which the possibility is there, people will say he only fought over rated contenders, or see he can't win outside of Wales. If he bets him, everyone says big deal he beat a 43 year old fighter. Then again I guess there aren't too many other big money offers out there for a guy who has beaten everyone at 168. The fight has my blessing, sorry Joe I gotta root for my man Bernard.

MIKKEL KESSLER

As much as I was sick of hearing HBO kiss this guys butt over the weekend I do think he is a great fighter. The one thing I couldn't help but think about was, maybe people will now give Jeff Lacy some credit. They stop saying he was overrated, and over hyped. People should start saying there is no shame in losing to a great fighter like Joe Calzaghe. I would love to see the two Calzaghe victims get a few fights under their belts and then face off for the 168 thrown. I would also like to see a match with the Canadian Lucian Bute get made. It would be tough because both guys can draw a crowd at home, so I'm sure there would be a pissing contest for home turf.

JUAN MANUEL MARQUEZ

I don't think I even need to mention what should happen with Marquez. If the rematch with Manny Pacquiao doesn't happen then I would never watch either fighter again. This fight needs to happen, for the fans, boxing, and most of all for me! I will not even write about this any longer, because it's only going to make me upset that they haven't gotten in the ring already.

ROCKY JUAREZ

This is one tough dude, that just can't seem to win the big one. He is entertaining and as I said before very tough, he is now in my eyes the perfect gate keeper for the division. I wouldn't mind seeing him give Robert Guerrero a stiff test or even take on the heavy punching Edwin Valero. Let's see if Valero could handle Rocky before being fed to Pacquiao.

SAKIO BIKA
I was ringside for this potential fight of the year, and the more I think about it, the more grateful I am for being able to witness this one in person. These two guys started fast and didn't stop swinging for the fences from round one all the way to the end. I'm still not sure what happened, I just know that I was on my feet the entire time! Where should Bika go from here? Well, I would like to see him give Jaidon a rematch later down the line. Codrington
needs to get some other fights under his belt before tangling with Bika again. I would like to see Bika in with any of the other tough 168ers, Allen Green could be a good match-up, maybe Edison Miranda, or perhaps take on the winner of Lacy-Manfredo.

JAIDON CODRINGTON

I know that Codrington was knocked out by Bika and knocked out by Green, I still think this kid is pretty good and can handle big time fights. He proved his heart by getting up in that first round and standing toe to toe with Bika for seven more rounds. I think one of "The Dons" flaws is he was pushed so fast. He was put up against Allen Green way to soon, and even after that he has never been able to get rounds under his belt. I think even though he got KO'd in eight, he should proud of what he accomplished. He went eight extremely hard rounds with a world class fighter and hasn't gone ten rounds more than once in his career. Jaidon was running solely on heart after the fifth round. I would like Jaidon to take it slow get some rounds under his belt and then try for revenge against Bika in a year or two. I have a feeling we'll see a different fight.

No comments: