Monday, July 09, 2007

WEEKEND PREDICTIONS

I did such a bad job making predictions last weekend I decided to get this weekends predictions in early. I would just like to say that when I make predictions, unfortunatly they come from the heart. If I were betting on these predictions I would sometimes go the other way. For instance, everyone knew that Wlad klitschko was going to beat Lamon Brewster on Saturday. I knew it too, but I wanted to be daring and hope for the Brewster upset again. If I had to put money on it, I would have gone with Wlad. That being said I have more than enough boxing coming up this weekend to be wrong about! Saturday night we have five big fights, four different venues, three up and comers, two PPV's, and one great night of boxing for the Bryguy! HERE GOES:

WELTER WEEKEND
The Antonio Margarito-Paul Williams fight is taking place at The Home Depot Center in California, but airing as an undercard for the Arturo Gatti-Alfonso Gomez fight in New Jersey. HBO was willing to spend a buck and bring three great fights to boxing fans(it's about time). After sitting through two Klitchsko snooze fests, and a terrible fight in Wales(Manfredo-Calzaghe), HBO owes this triple header to boxing fans.

gattigomez
ARTURO GATTI vs. ALFONSO GOMEZ
(40-8,31KO'S) (16-3-2,7KO'S)
I'm back and forth on whether or not it will be a good one. I understand that almost any fight Arturo Gatti is in is a good one(this excludes his fights against Mayweather, and Baldomir). From what I've seen Alfonso Gomez is full of heart just like his opponent. He has some skill as well, but has never fought anyone with more than 25 wins. Arturo Gatti has been in the ring with some of the best. Of course Gatti is also on the downslide of his career. I'm just afraid this fight might turn out to be more Gatti-Dorin than Gatti-Ward. Ward I should mention will be working the corner for Gatti in this fight(just a bit of trivia I thought I'd throw at ya). I think Gomez has enough heart to stay in there for a few rounds, but the ref will stop it late. I think after the beatings Gatti has taken from Mayweather and Baldomir this fight is for his fans.
PREDICTION: GATTI KO 10

Kermit Cintron Wins WBO Interim Welterweight ChampionshipWalter-Matthysse2
KERMIT CINTRON vs. WALTER MATTHYSSE
(27-1,25KO'S) (26-1,27KO'S)
Fist off, the answer is I have no idea how to pronounce Walter's last name...so don't ask! This fight will be on the undercard of the Gatti Gomez fight and has a chance of being a better fight. Kermit Cintron is was once thought to be a wrecking machine until he bumped into Antonio Margarito two years ago. That fight sent Cintron back to the drawing board and Margarito on to the ever increasing list of guys to avoid. "The Killer" took some time off and came back to knock off two sturdy challengers(Mark Suarez and David Estrada). The Estrada fight was on my list as candidate for fight of the year. I think Kermit has gotten himself back on track and is looking to make a statement on Saturday...Bryguy predicts this statement will be loud and clear. I don't know much about Matthysse other than he has a solid record against solid opponents and almost as many KO' as victories. I'm not over looking Matthysse, but he's the smaller man against a hard hitting fighter with something to prove. I think this fight will be bombs away from the get go with Cintron coming out on top.
PREDICTION: CINTRON KO 11
Paul-Williamsmargarito_antonio
PAUL WILLIAMS vs. ANTONIO MARGARITO
(32-0,24KO'S) (34-4,24KO'S)
This fight should be an interesting one. For a while it looked like Margarito would take a fight with Miguel Cotto and Williams wouldn't get his mandatory shot. I guess with all Margarito's bitching about being ducked by everyone, he couldn't then turn around and duck Williams. It looks like the winner could get a shot at miguel Cotto. Two years ago the Antonio found himself in a very similar situation, on a big fight card fighting a dangerous undefeated fighter, that many thought could defeat him(Bryguy included). So now it's 2007 and that undefeated dangerous fighter is "The Punisher". Paul Williams is a big weletrweight, at 6'1" he's got a three inch height advantage over Margarito, and a nine inch reach advantage. I have never been a big fan Margarito. I think he's a solid fighter with an akward style, but I I think he's been blown up into something he's not. He would have lost his fight with Joshua Clottey if Clottey hadn't broken both his hands. Two of his four loses have come against southpaws, and "The Punisher" is one big southpaw. I think Williams is going to finish the Margarito hype train and put himself on that list we talked about.(In case you missed it, that was the list of fighters to avoid.)
PREDICTION: WILLIAMS UD

PPV BONANZA!
This weekend sports fans also have two pay per views to choose from, that's if you don't mind foking over the cash. Headlining one is John Duddy who is fighting in Ireland for the first time. The other is headlined by the aging roy Jones Jr. They're not exactly dueling, Duddy's fight card will start at 5:00pm eastern time, Jones' will begin around 9:30pm. Let's break em down!

duddyJOHN DUDDY PPV

The first PPV is John Duddy vs. Alessio Furlan in what is going to be "Ireland's" John Duddy's first pro fight in......well Ireland. The undercards are not so great, but there are a few reasons to get this fight.

1. I have yet to see John in a fight that isn't exciting.(That's kind of a lie, I saw him put Joseph Brady down 1 minute into the fight on a sad body shot...but I was front row so who cares?!)

2. The PPV is 20 bucks, much cheaper than most PPV's that have bad undercards.

3. The fights start at 5:00pm eastern time, which makes it a perfect pregame to the HBO fight card.(Or in The Bryguy's case perfect pregame before you go out on the town. Don't worry the HBO card will be DVR'd.)

As for my prediction, I see an easy night for Duddy. His opponent Furlan has lost 3 of his last 5 fights. His two wins came against a couple of guys with a combined record of 13 wins, 65 losses, 10 No Decisions, and only 3 KO's. I'd say his handlers want his home coming to be spectacular. PREDICTION DUDDY KO 5

Roy-Jones7ROY JONES JR. PPV
The second PPV of the night will be Roy Jones Jr. vs. Anthony Hanshaw. This fight has a better undercard, but costs ten dollars more than the Duddy fight. My problem with this is that it will start around 9:30pm, which will interfere with the HBO telecast. The main event also doesn't intrigue me all that much. Jones is doing what Shannon Briggs did, and what Evander Holyfield is in the midst of doing...fight opponents they know they can beat until someone gives them a title shot. I think Jones has lost a step and shouldn't be fighting a super middleweight. I like Hanshaw, he impressed me in Showtimes super middleweight tourney, but he's still not on Jones' level. Jones isn't going to let Hanshaw near him just in case he gets tapped on his chin. He'll probably make it a boring fight and then tell everyone after what a great fight and they're both warriors.(See Bryguy vs. Bozo). I'll save $10 and go with the Duddy pregame thanks. PREDICTION JONES UD

No comments: