Wednesday, July 18, 2007

HOPKINS WRIGHT
hopkinsWRIGHT
PREDICTION



I have come up with a few rules while watching boxing all these years:

1. Never bet against Bernard Hopkins.

2. Never bet against Winky Wright.

3. Always bet on black.(no, wait, that's Wesley Snipes in Passenger 57. Sorry, my bad.)

So, I guess I only have two rules for boxing.(I'm gonna have to come up with a few more). Now this fight just goes and screws with the little system I had going. I won't bet on either guy, but who should I pick to win. After mulling it over for about two months I have decided to go with(drum roll please, rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr) Bernard Hopkins. I think the fight will be more entertaining than people think. We are talking about two of the best ring technicians on the planet. Why are people acting like this is gonna be John Ruiz vs. Fres Oquendo? Both of these guys want to prove they're the better man, and I believe they'll come out fighting. Hopkins showed much more energy against Tarver than he had in his 5 bouts before that. Bernard Hopkins is the Roger Clemens of boxing, or even better the engizer bunny of boxing, he just keeps going. He will be the bigger man in the ring and will force his will upon Winky the same way he did against Oscar DeLahoya. Winky got broken up worse in the Jermain Taylor fight than all the rest of his fights combined. After two fights with Taylor, Hopkins looked fine. I would also add that Taylor was a young guy full of energy, Wright is not. Also it's very important to point out that Hopkins is 9-0 with 7 ko's against southpaws. If all that wasn't enough, Bernard is also one of my favorite fighters, so I can't pick against him. PREDICTION: HOPKINS UD

3 comments:

The Lefty said...

Great point about B-Hop vs. southpaws. However, as much as I too, like Hopkins, I'm going with the Wink in a split. Your comparison of Hops to Clemens is better than the one to the Energizer bunny. Why? Because as Clemens is showing us, every athlete has an expiration date. I think the younger man (even though he's still kind of old) wins this fight.

The Lefty said...

Also- your poll doesn't include the option of a split decision.

THE BRYGUY said...

Very good point Jeb, I should have just said decision to keep it simple. I understand what you're saying about the younger man, but I don't think Winky is an active enough fighter to make Hopkins look bad. Remember Jermain Taylor was much younger and very active in the second fight.(I think Taylor lost the first fight and won the second).