Saturday, December 17, 2005

BERNARD HOPKINS

I have recently read that Bernard Hopkins is indeed going to retire after his two loses to Jermain Taylor. I will admit I am slightly torn on whether I like this decision or not. Allow me to explain why. I never want to see a fighter continue when it's obvious they are just hurting themselves.(Evander Holyfield, Joe Mesi.) So I would not be upset if Hopkins retired. In his last two outings I thought he showed he still has the skills to beat most anybody.(I thought Hopkins won the first fight, and lost the second.) There is still one fight I would love to see before he retires, Hopkins-Jones II (before you sneer and stop reading let me explain). These two fought each other once before and Roy took it. When the fight happened they were both considered to be in there prime, or at least close to it. So this is not a case of two fighters trying to make a fight that should've happened a long time ago. (Lewis-Tyson) These two already fought in there prime. Both fighters skills have diminished equally.(In different ways of course.) I feel that they have the same advantages over each other today as they did 12 years ago. Is Jones still too fast? Can Hopkins take advantage of Jones' chin? Will Hopkins finally show his age? Has Hopkins become too crafty in those 12 years? Has Jones lost his edge? Those are just some of the questions we could have fun asking leading up to the fight. Also I believe a win for either would solidify there career.(Obviously Jones needs it more than Hopkins.) I don't mind that these guys are old as long as they're still evenly matched. If either plan on fighting again and it's not against each other I will be the first one screaming retire! I might even start a new blog called Bryguy's boxers who should retire blog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should retire those boxers you've been wearing 5 days a week for 4 years. They stink!