Wednesday, June 21, 2006

WINKY THE WHINER

winky
I had nothing but respect for both fighters leading up to this fight. They handled themselves extremely well. They both showed up to all the press conferences and never spoke a bad word about their opponent. They behaved like professionals. In the sport of boxing that is rare. After the fight I gained respect for one fighter and lost respect for another.(I have lost respect for some writers as well.) First of all, I will say I scored the fight 115-113 for Taylor. There were a couple rounds that easily could have gone the other way so I can see anyone giving the fight to Winky, or even calling it a draw. My Problem isn't with the fight or even the scoring. For once I think they actually got it right. My problem is with Winky storming off and crying about how he was robbed. In no way shape or form was he robbed. Robbery is when you clearly have a fight won and they take it from you. DeLahoya beating Sturm was robbery, Roy Jones not getting a gold metal is robbery. Winky not getting a thin decision that could go either way, is a close fight. After the fight Winky stormed out of the ring as if he had won all 12 rounds and they still gave the fight to Taylor. That's not the case and Winky should have known that. In the end Taylor got to keep his belts. I think he deserved to, after all he was the only guy who fought for all 12 rounds. I gained a major amount of respect for Jermain following the fight. He was the first one to admit if Winky had fought at all in the last round he probably would have won the fight. My other problem is all the media screaming about how Winky was robbed. If you can't watch the fight and see how close it was you're blind. Several of those rounds could have been interpreted differently. I hope there is a rematch, even though both camps say they don't want one. For the record Taylor will win the second by UD. He has gained more experience and confidence the same way he did in the first Hopkins fight.

1 comment:

THE BRYGUY said...

Well put shogun. I think with fan demand and some money from HBO I think a rematch could happen.