Thursday, June 08, 2006

JUST MORE RANDOM THOUGHTS
taylorwinkypresscottopauliepresshopkins tarverpress
OK, so I made my predictions for June. I am now just crossing my fingers hoping that they at least come close. I have had second thoughts about one prediction, Jermain Taylor vs. Winky Wright. I watched the HBO Countdown to Taylor-Wright last night and I'm starting to lean towards Dan Birmingham. That dude is scary! If you haven't seen the countdown yet you should check it out, Dan Birmingham(Winky's trainer) is one bad ass mother...shut yo mouth! Every time he speaks it seems like he's ready to whoop some ass. In all seriousness I have already had second thoughts about the fight. I probably will second guess myself again before fight time. Winky is pretty nasty and his jab is great. He could confuse Jermain all night long and shut him out the way he has so many others. I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin.

One thing I am very sure of is that I will be ordering the Cotto-Malignaggi PPV. I think that Paulie has done an amazing job of selling this fight. He has talked so much to every boxing website that I have to watch to see what happens. On one hand I need to see if he can back it up(I have a feeling he can) and if he can't I'm dying to see what his reaction will be. Will Paulie be a sore loser or will he be gentleman and give Cotto the respect he didn't before. Also has anyone seen the pictures of Cotto from the presser? If you ask me he looks pretty dehydrated, that could be a major advantage for Paulie, and could be the reason why he's been rocked so easily in his last couple of fights. If problems making 140 is the reason his jaw is so shaky, he could be a force at 147.

Speaking of HBO Countdowns I watched Hopkins-Tarver as well. By the time I finished I thought Hopkins looked like the better man. He looks healthier and more focused, but last night on Wednesday Night Fights Tarver made an appearance and looked pretty darn fit. I still go with B-Hop, but the fight could be more interesting than I originally thought.

No comments: