Monday, September 26, 2005

COTTO TORRESMY MAIN EVENT THEORY:
This past weekend I sat down to watch two fights Cotto-Torres and Klitschko-Peter. My friend called me and wasn't interested in the under-card only the main event. Sure enough he showed up just in time to watch Klitschko jab Sam Peter to death for twelve rounds. I am only telling this story to point out he may have missed one of the more entertaining fights of the year. Who could have predicted when tuning in that what I thought was a sacrificial lamb(Torres) would wobble one of my favorite fighters(Cotto) in several rounds. Cotto showed great heart by only going down once, and coming back to KO Torres in the 7th.
PETERThe main event was a little more exciting than most heavyweight affairs but that's only because we weren't sure about Klitschko's chin and we know Sam Peter can drop bombs. My point to writing this story is that most main events suck. I have been to many fights over this past summer and not one main event was very entertaining, in fact I walked out on most of them by the 3rd round. Even the big networks haven't fiqured this out yet Showtime aired a fight in Worcester MA earlier this year, cruiserweights Braithwaite-Mormeck. The fight was only pretty good and the under-card which they didn't show Rivera-Callazo was a barn burner. So this weekend do yourself a favor and watch all the fights on the Tarver-Jones III card, because you might be like my friend, get caught up in the hype and forget that main events suck. I hope I'm wrong about this weekend but if Tarver knocks out Jones early again you can attribute it to the BRYGUY's M.E.S. theory.

No comments: