Tuesday, September 15, 2009





SHORT AND SWEET..... SCIENCE


Many athletes dabble in the sweet science during their off-seasons to stay in shape: Chad Johnson, Shawn Merriman, and Tom Zibikowski are just a few. (Zibikowski actually had one pro fight). NBA star Shaquille O'Neal just took on Oscar De La Hoya for his show Shaq Vs. on ABC. Now you can add Bruins forward Shawn Thornton to that list. Thornton was working out at The Ring Boxing Club all summer and I caught up with him recently to toss a few softball questions his way. Seeing as how I write about boxing and he's a hockey player I kept it short and sweet..... science.


The Bryguy:
Shawn you have been spotted training at the Ring in Allston over the
summer. Why did you decide to pick up boxing this off-season and how has
it been going?


Shawn Thornton:
Well, it’s done now, it was fun, a good summer. My trainer Tommy is a
great guy and went out of his way to help me out. It was a great
experience. For conditioning it is more fun to go in and do that then to
just go for a run in the afternoon or ride the bike. It’s better to
train with someone

How do you think boxing will help you when you hit the ice?

Conditioning wise it should help me and it helped me lose a few pounds.
It might help with my balance too. I didn’t do it to become a better
hockey player. I don’t really like talking about fighting really to
tell you the truth, I’m sure it won’t hurt me, but it wasn’t my
mind set to become a better fighter.

You told me at a recent event you went to the Kelly Pavlik vs. Jose
Luis Zertuche fight. (Pavlick KO'd Zertuche in the 8th) What were your impressions of that event?


It was awesome, we were sitting pretty much ringside and Pavlik was
actually staying in my hotel. I got to go have breakfast with him the
next day; he’s a big hockey fan, a big guy. I hadn’t heard of him
before then, but I have been trying to follow his career ever since. It
was a pretty cool experience.

Last but not least, every fighter has a carefully chosen ring entrance
song and fighting nickname. Any ideas for yours?


No, neither… I have not put any thought into that, but I am sure one of
my hockey nicknames would carry over, but for a fight song I would have
to put a little more thought into that, and get back to you.

Thank you Shawn for all your time and we'll see you on the ice.

As an after thought, I'm not sure about a nickname, but to keep with the Bruins theme, I think his entry music should be AC/DC Back in Black

For more information on The Ring visit their website, and for more on Shawn's hockey career you can check him out on the Bruins website.

No comments: