Thursday, March 19, 2009

Welcome Back!


Last Thursday I had the day off and did what most lazy people do with their free days, I slept late, lolly-gagged, and told everyone on Facebook what I was doing as I did it.(I know I'm that guy that updates you that I'm eating a Boston Creme donut in my underwear while watching Maury Povich, sorry!) Anyway, on this particular day I noticed that my friend HBO boxing has updated their status to; HBO Boxing wonders what you think: will Floyd Mayweather come back to boxing?

I immediately put down the Boston Creme, and did some research. Dan Rafeal of espn.com was reporting that Floyd was indeed making a comeback and an HBO date of July 11th had been bandied about for a tune-up fight. The Sweet Science.com and Maxboxing both had similar reports, saying that Floyd wanted to return and was looking to take on all comers.

Once I caught my breath I finished the donut and starting thinking about all the possible great fights Floyd could get into. It's not that I am the biggest "Pretty Boy" fan, or that his fights are overly exciting, it's just that fact that he is the best boxer in the game, and I want to see if he can be beaten. Here are the five I want after his tune-up:




1. MANNY PACQUIAO (48-3, 36ko)

This is the most obvious fight, and seems to be the fight that has brought "Money May" out of retirement.  This is a great match-up between the former pound for pound champ and his replacement. This fight will happen, I just hope Mayweather doesn't pull a Bobby Fisher and go back into hiding after beating the number one guy, there a few number two's I would like him to face as well.

2. JUAN MANUEL MARQUEZ (50-4, 37ko)

Juan Manuel Marquez is arguably the second best fighter on the planet, and the only argument you could give for that statement would be, he's actually the best. Jimbobaroo once told me "Juan Manuel Marqeuez is the essence of dodge and punish".   I will be honest, I don't know what Jimbob was talking about, but I think it meant that JMM is a smart, solid fighter that shouldn't be doubted against anyone, even the pound for pound best.  If you saw his fight with Juan Diaz he looked as if he was getting pushed around by the younger man, but he was landing pin point punches(Alliteration!) the whole time. If he did miss it was almost like he did it just to set up a better punch.  I would like to see how Mayweather matches up with this counter-punching wizard. Would Mayweather seem as fast if he was being timed? Does timing really beat speed? Who is the best fighter in the world, Mayweather, Pacquiao, or Marquez? I don't have the answers, but I sure would like to find them!


3. SHANE MOSLEY (46-5, 27ko)

This would be such a good match-up between the guy who didn't think Antonio Margarito was anything special, and the guy who proved it. After watching Mosley put on a clinic against Margarito, it seems like he hasn't lost much off his fast-ball(that's for all you baseball nerds reading this). I would love to see how Mayweather would handle Sugar Shane's speed and power. Zab Judah looked like he gave Mayweather some fits early on in their fight, and I don't see Mosley fading or getting knocked out.


4. MIQUEL COTTO (33-1, 27ko)

If these two fighters were military weapons Miquel Cotto would be a tank, and Mayweather would be a Ninja.(OK, I know a Ninja isn't a military weapon, but come on, Ninjas are cool.) I personally think Cotto is a guy with the perfect style to beat Mayweather. He is a relentless, powerful fighter who chops his opponents down until they crumble. I would love to see if the vicious body puncher could slow down the slick defensive dynamo.(Another alliteration, where do I get these?!)  I have a feeling that this is one guy that "Money Mo" will avoid.


5. PAUL WILLIAMS (36-1, 27ko) 

I'm not sure if I really even want to see this fight.  I respect Paul Williams. but am just not that big a fan. I do enjoy that the guy moves up and down he weight classes to fight, but I just don't find him all that entertaining for some reason.(I really can't figure out why!) I just want to see Mayweather square off with a guy who has a 5 inch height advantage and a 10 inch reach advantage, talk about David vs. Goliath.   After this one I would then put him in with Valuev!

Let's admit it, Mayweather will never please everyone in the boxing world, but he sure can try a little harder.  I think he needs to fight at least 3 of these 5 to quiet the critics and not end up like Roy Jones, chasing the fights he should have had in his prime.

LOCAL UPDATE:

I found out that a few good local fighters will be filling out the April 25th Jermain Taylor-Carl Froch card, both Edwin Rodriquez and Danny O'Connor.  Edwin is coming off of an impressive outing, last Thursday he stopped veteran Patrick Thompson(15-13-1) in the second round, Rodriquez is only the second fighter to stop Thompson.  O'Connor's last victory was a first round TKO of Charles Wade(4-7-0) in Dorchester on March 14th.  There are still $50 and $75 seats available, and this is turning out to be a solid card.

No comments: