Saturday, September 13, 2008

Big Weekend

It's a big weekend for fight fans, no matter if you're rich or poor. If your rich, you may be purchasing the Jaun Manuel Marquez vs. Joel Casamayor fight on HBO PPV, while at the same time, DVRing the Showtime double-header of Nate Campbell vs. Joan Guzman and Timothy Bradley vs. Edner Cherry. Those poor fight fans like me, will no doubt catch the Showtime card and patiently wait for the HBO replay a week later. I think both cards are strong, with the Showtime card being the more exciting of the two, and the HBO card while being an intriguing match up, not exactly PPV worthy. Well, I don't want to get into another blog entry about what is wrong with this sport, I just want to give a few predictions.

HBO

Jaun Manuel Marquez vs. Joel Casamayor

Ok, since I'm running late, I will make these short and sweet. I think JMM outpoints Casamayor fairly easily. When you are as talented as JMM, I don't think moving up in weight makes that big a deal. I also feel Casamayor has gotten away with his last two fights. He should have lost against Santa Cruz, and Katsidis got caught. Jaun Manuel Marquez UD

Vernon Forrest vs. Sergio Mora II
I don't really care about this fight, and I think it's really sad that it is kind of a co-main event. They should of had something better for a PPV show. That being said, I thought Vernon looked over the hill in his last fight, and the reason he lost was because he couldn't let his hands go. I don't see that changing, and I think he should consider retiring. Mora UD
SHOWTIME

Nate Campbell vs. Joan Guzman
This could be the toughest fight to call out of them all. Guzman is slick and undefeated, but Campbell is battle tested veteran. Guzman came in overweight, but does that mean he's out of shape, or just doesn't care about the belt. We remember what happened the first time Castillo came in overweight against Corrales! I still have to go with the seemingly tougher, grittier champion. Campbell seems like the type of guy who busted his butt to get the title, and isn't going to let some undefeated slickster take away from him. I think he'll pressure Guzman till the youngster crumbles. Campbell TKO 12

Edner Cherry vs. Timothy Bradley
I have really enjoyed watching Edner Cherry over the years, and for that reason, I'm giving him the win. I think he will surprise everybody and pull off the upset, just because I like him! Cherry SD

No comments: