Monday, April 02, 2007

WEEKEND PREDICTIONS:

GodfreyCoraWeighin001

MATT GODFREY vs. FELIX CORA JR.(ESPN)
This is my pick for the best fight of the weekend. Both fighters have great reputations and are looking for a major title fight in the future. A loss here would be devastating to both men's careers. A loss in the cruiserweight division is much worse than any other because it's lesser known division. Godfrey will be fighting in front of his hometown crowd which gives him the advantage if the fight goes the distance. Both fighters seem to have solid chins and both have a bit of power. I think in this fight both fighters will be pushed to their limits. I have a feeling Godfrey is going to walk away as an actual threat to the Cruiserweight division.
PREDICTION:Godfrey TKO 11

manfredocalzaghe

PETER MANFREDO JR. vs. JOE CALZAGHE(HBO)
This is tough for me to write being that I've met Manfredo several times and I think he's a very nice guy. I haven't been terribly impressed with Calzaghe, but I don't think Manfredo has fought anyone nearly as talented as the Welshman. I think the deciding factor in this one is Calzaghe's handspeed. Peter hasn't fought anyone with that kind of handspeed. Peter will impress a few people with how far he goes, but I think he will be stopped.
PREDICTION: Calzaghe TKO 9

corralesclottey
DIEGO CORRALES vs. JOSHUA CLOTTEY(Showtime)
This is my pick for the upset of the weekend. Joshua Clottey proved to me that he can beat a-list fighters. In my opinion he put on a clinic against Antonio Margarito until he broke his hand. Chico has moved up two weight classes and I think that could be a mistake. At the lower weight class he was dropped several times and got himself out of trouble because of his punching power. I don't think his power will travel two weight classes.
PREDICTION: Clottey KO 7

No comments: