Friday, March 02, 2007

HEAD TO HEAD

dvr

Once again Showtime and HBO are going head to head with big fight cards. This weekend as with most of the weekends Showtime's main event is far superior to HBO's. Showtime has the very evenly matched Manuel Marquez moving up a few pounds to take on the reigning Super Bantamweight titlist Israel Vasquez in what should be a shootout. Over on the other cable network the human wrecking ball Miguel Cotto is facing off a against unknown German Oktay Urkal, in what should be a slaughtering. Usually I am very angry, and would continue to bash the networks and the entire boxing world for airing such big fights at the same time. Today I am a little older, a slight bit more mature, a few beers deeper, and the proud owner of a DVR. These days opposing fight cards just means I will have something to watch while I have a cup of coffee and wish to god I hadn't had that last beer. My hangover feels especially good when someone takes a solid shot, cause hey, at least I'm not that guy. So, on Saturday night when Cotto is slaying Urkal, and Marquez is trading punches with Vazquez, I'll be pounding Bud Lights and looking forward to my morning coffee.

No comments: